The Conrad N. Hilton Foundation Headquarters was founded in 1944 as a philanthropic trust with a mandate to “relieve the suffering, the distressed and the destitute.” The Foundations carried this theme of making the planet a better place into their new campus in Agoura Hills, California. One of the Foundation’s primary objectives for the design was to make as little impact as possible in order to preserve the surrounding environment, this resulted in a truly net-zero energy building.
The building’s architecture is the result of a graceful union between nature and technology. ZGF Architects entrusted PlanNet to design the technology infrastructure for the audio visual, security and information technology, along with providing communications technology and data migration from the Foundations existing location to the new campus.
Having one consultant to project manage multiple disciplines for all technology-related items allowed for efficiency in the project process. PlanNet worked side-by side with the architect, the general contractor, the cabling contract and the local phone service provider to integrate all communication aspects of the project.
Interesting technology features of the facility include a flat panel display which monitors the water consumption or savings at any given time, and reflects the power resources saved by the utilization of the solar panels. To promote the use of the outdoors as a work space, Wi-Fi is available in the cloister garden and throughout 60% of the parking lot.