MULTNOMAH COUNTY – DATA CENTER
PLANNET completed an engagement with Multnomah County, Portland, Oregon that included multiple phases of data center deployments including strategy, sourcing, design, procurement, commissioning and systems and applications migration.
Data Center Strategy for Production and Disaster Recovery
Multnomah County embarked on an initiative to improve their primary production services data center and disaster recovery capabilities. PLANNET was selected among dozens of proposers to assist the County to develop a comprehensive strategy that included the following:
- Requirements analysis for production and disaster recovery data centers;
- Establishing the current state baseline and future state requirements addressing applications, systems, network, facilities and disaster recovery posture;
- Survey and assessment of the County’s existing data center facility and evaluation of potential city owned buildings to accommodate primary and/or disaster recovery sites;
- Alternatives analysis of build versus co-location for local and regional sites;
- Comparison with qualitative and financial analysis (TCO, capital/opex and cash flow models) for multiple scenarios; and
- Presentation of findings and recommendations to obtain approval on the construction of a new production data center in a County-owned facility and migration of disaster recovery to a local co-location site.
Data Center Sourcing, Design and Project Management
PLANNET assisted the County with sourcing and design for production and disaster recovery sites including:
- Preparing basis of design addressing architectural and engineering requirements for the primary data center;
- Coordinating efforts of the County’s design and construction team including review of engineering documents and contractor pricing;
- RFP development, evaluation, negotiation and selection of a local co-location site for the County’s disaster recovery location; and
- Coordination and oversight of primary and data center build-out and commissioning.