Beverly Hills Unified School District
The Beverly Hills Unified School District (BHUSD) needed to understand better the IT demands and usages at their various schools and develop a short- and long-term strategy to realistically plan for technology to meet the school district’s needs. With that in mind, the district engaged PLANNET to develop “best practices” recommendations to update the district’s existing IT standards. Technologies that were assessed included:
- Classroom Technology
- Classroom Audio Video System
- Paging, Bell, Clock, Intercom, and Emergency Notification
- Digital Signage
- Video Distribution System
- Mechanical and Low Voltage General Technology
- Unified Communications System
- LAN/WAN and Internet Infrastructure
- Wireless Infrastructure
- Data Center, Data Rooms, and Enclosures
- Voice over IP telephone System (VoIP)
PLANNET also developed technical specifications and assisted with the competitive bidding processes for various technologies. These technologies included: voice/data cable infrastructure, audiovisual systems, security systems, LAN/WAN, Internet infrastructure (including wireless access points), and voice over IP telephone system (VoIP). The facilities that the technology installations enhanced included:
- Beverly Hills High School
Scope included the construction of a new athletics building and parking structure, the removal of a seismically deficient older gymnasium building, renovation of the original classroom building built in the 1920s, and the main classroom building built in the 1960s.
- El Rodeo School
The scope included the renovation of single and multi-story original classroom buildings and the relocation of administrative spaces into a 1970s-era wing of the campus.
- Hawthorne School
The scope included various modernization initiatives
- Horace Mann School
The scope included one new building (B) with a follow-up phase to modernize Building A.
In addition to developing the procurement process to identify the selection of technology vendors, PLANNET conducted a high-level review of each construction project to understand overall design elements and provided general technology support services.
BHUSD partnered with PLANNET again as their consultant to procure and install systems for various upcoming construction projects. This included the establishment of district-wide physical security standards. Work was comprised of design, acquisition process management, and implementation oversight for district-wide schools, including access control intrusion detection and video surveillance systems. Campus sizes are as follows:
- Beverly Hills High School (1,093,351 SF)
- Beverly Vista K-8 School (247,956 SF)
- El Rodeo K-8 School (289,812 SF)
- Hawthorne K-8 School (226,213 SF)
- Horace Mann K-8 School (220,553 SF)
- Administration Offices and Adult School (Annex, 41,606 SF)